Water and steam power were both used to perform a variety of tasks on large estates
It was a great pleasure to view all the steam engines and especially the fair organs were great! Thank you so much!
Family from Neustadt, Germany
Click the thumbnails to view larger images.
In a hollow at the lower end of the Lime Walk is a stone building adjoining a large overtype waterwheel.
Inside is a beam engine, a type central to the development of steam power and the Industrial Revolution. This engine dates from around 1850 and has been restored to working order, in a setting similar to that in which it is thought to have worked when new.
It was used by a large farm in the North-East of England where it was employed to drive a fixed threshing machine in a barn, along with other mills and equipment by means of a line shaft and belts. There are stories that the engine took over the task of driving a threshing machine from an older waterwheel, after augmenting it initially. The beam engine has been restored and is provided with low pressure steam from an adjacent egg-ended boiler, and is demonstrated regularly on open Sundays.
The waterwheel came to Hollycombe from a farm in nearby Bramshott, prior to which it worked in Cornwall.